Musings from a Hall of Fame Business Coach
Wow, it is hard to believe that it has been 18 years since I started as an ActionCOACH! Like every new business venture, the journey has been filled with ups and downs along the way, but the Vision has only gotten bigger and more clear over the years. When I returned from our annual 2022 conference, fresh off my surprise induction into the ActionCOACH Hall of Fame, a good friend asked me what kind of advice I had for aspiring business owners, maybe one top tip for each year in business. So here are my Top 18 Tips for business owners… pick 2-3 that hit home and act on them.
18 Tips from 18 Years
- Work harder on yourself than you do on your job. (Jim Rohn)
- If you don’t like your results, make better choices.
- Raise your hand if you need help, otherwise how will we know you need us?
- Asking for help is a sign of strength.
- Surround yourself with people that are smarter than you, and listen to them.
- If you are not having fun in your job/business, you are doing it wrong!
- If you don’t respect yourself, nobody else will either.
- Sometimes you need to take the afternoon off and go do something fun.
- Never stop learning – Learning more to Earn more really works!
- Dream Big – then do something to get you one step closer every day.
- Get a coach (or two).
- If you aren’t making mistakes, you aren’t trying hard enough.
- Treat your business like it is your #1 customer.
- Don’t hold people accountable, help them be accountable.
- Celebrate and share your wins!
- Business is just a big math game – learn to be good at your math.
- Tell that person in the mirror how great they are every single day.
- Learn how to prioritize, then act and decide based on your priorities.
Pick 2 or 3 to Implement Now
So now that you have your 2-3 tips that you want to figure out how to use in your business, how can we help you implement them? For some of you, it might be that you need help figuring out how to do it in your business, or where to start. For others, you might know how, but you need some accountability to make sure you finish what you start. And some of you might just need help choosing only 2-3 tips.
No matter which category you fall into, we are offering FREE 60-90 minute Business Strategy Sessions to the first 10 business owners who raise their hand (see items #3 and #4). Just go here to raise your hand and one of our coaches will schedule your session for you.
Author: Mark McNulty, Business Coach in Louisville, KY